The Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute was started as a private Medical college in the year 1955 by Mysore Education Society. The Founders of this Society were Dr. R. Shivaram, Dr. Mekhri, Dr. B.K. Narayana Rao and Dr. B.V. Ramaswamy. In the year 1957 it was handed over to the then Government of Mysore and was affiliated to Mysore University and then on to the Bangalore University. In the year 1996 it got affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute has MCI recognition for Undergraduate 150 seats + 100 seats admitted under 10A of MCI rules, 135 Postgraduate Masters Degree, 71 Diploma seats, (MS Anatomy, MD Physiology, MD Biochemistry, MD OBG, MD Pharmacology, MD Pathology, MD Microbiology, MD P & SM, MD Forensic Medicine, MS Ophthalmology, MS ENT, MS Orthopedics, MD Anesthesiology, MD Paediatrics, MD Gen. Medicine, MD Gen. Surgery, MD Radio Diagnosis, MD Radio Therapy, MD Psychiatry, MD Skin & V.D) and Super Specialty seats for M.Ch Urology, M.Ch Plastic Surgery, M.Ch Paediatric Surgery is recognised by MCI. DM Neurology, M.Ch Surgical Gastroenterology admitted under 10A of MCI rules.